INDIANAPOLIS - The Consumer Protection Safety Commission reported 300,000 lawn mower-related injuries in 2013.
Angie's List Senior Writer Lacey Nix said dangerous accidents can happen quickly when working in the yard.
"I was in the backyard and got to the last, final strip of grass. I was kind of distracted. I had my headphones in, saying hi to my kids and I hit something with the mower. I heard a loud noise and then felt this sharp pain in my leg," Nix said.
A metal hanger ripped straight through her lower leg, sending her to the hospital for emergency surgery.
Angie's List founder Angie Hicks said before mowing your lawn, check for stones and sticks. Also, wear long pants and sturdy, closed-toe shoes. Children should never ride as passengers on riding mowers or be towed behind.
"Safety features could be different, the blade could operate or be located in different spots, so don't take it for granted, read (your owner's manual) before you operate," Hicks said.
Take your time when mowing. If you're crunched for time, consider hiring a professional.
"My cheapness cost me about $26,000 after everything was all said and done," Nix said.
A mower tune-up could cost between $50 and $75, and should be completed at the start of mowing season.
Angie's List: DIY vs. hiring professional mover
A family on the move knows moving isn't cheap, so do you DIY or hire someone to help?
Angie's List CEO William Oesterle to resign
Indianapolis-based Angie's List has announced the resignation of its CEO, William Oesterle.
Baby food recalled after glass found in jar
Beech-Nut Nutrition announced a recall of approximately 1,920 pounds of baby food products after a consumer found a small piece of glass in…
Gap, Target, others face scheduling probe
The New York Attorney General's office sent a letter to 13 retailers saying it had received reports of illegal "on-call" scheduling.
Angie's List: Get ideas to spruce up your yard
Gardening can be fun, even if you don't have a green thumb.
Sabra recalls 30,000 cases of hummus
About 30,000 cases of Sabra hummus sold nationwide is being recalled due to a possible Listeria contamination.