The Indiana Attorney General's Office is taking steps to handle an influx of claims after the deadly state fair stage collapse.So far, six tort claims have been filed in connection with the Aug. 13 collapse that killed seven people and injured dozens of others.
Special Section: Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse
Attorney General Greg Zoeller said his office will handle the fair-related claims with greater detail by setting up a specific process to review them, 6News' Rafael Sanchez reported.Zoeller has deputized two private lawyers who were already on staff to the rank of deputy attorney general to assist in handling the complaints."It's a situation that we have never been in," Zoeller said. The number of complaints that we're going to have, the number of claims, the amount of the investigation, it's really going to test the abilities of our office to keep up."The state has 90 days to respond to a tort claim. If rejected, then a victim can file a lawsuit.In 2010, more than 2,900 claims were denied, while more than 500 were paid out, totaling more than $500,000.So far this year, more than 1,500 claims have been denied. The 472 that have been paid out total about $250,000.Under state law, $5 million is the cap of what the state can pay out to all of the victims of one incident.Zoeller said he will release more information about the new process in the coming days.