Bisard Report Sure To Be Controversial

Sources Say Report Indicates No Cover-Up

An eagerly anticipated report on the Indianapolis Metro Police Department's internal investigation of Officer David Bisard to be released Wednesday is all but certain to generate more controversy.

Marion County Public Safety Director Frank Straub plans to release the department's findings at 3:30 p.m., more than three months after a fatal crash involving Bisard and a subsequent botched investigation that enraged the community.

Previous Slideshow: Bisard Case

Straub, Mayor Greg Ballard, IMPD Chief Paul Ciesielski and Deputy Chief Valerie Cunningham will detail the findings. The news conference will be carried on WRTV, 6News 24/7 and TheIndyChannel.com.

The release comes after a pledge of transparency from city officials probing the crash in which police said Bisard was drunk and on duty when he hit a group of motorcyclists Aug. 6, killing Eric Wells, 30, and injuring Mary Mills and Kurt Weekly.

Police said a blood draw showed Bisard's blood-alcohol level at 0.19 percent, but Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi dropped alcohol-related charges against the officer because proper procedures weren't followed in obtaining the sample.

Last month, Brizzi said he wants to reintroduce the blood evidence to help support a reckless homicide charge against the officer.

Sources told 6News' Jack Rinehart that the internal report has been in Straub's hands for more than two weeks.

Last week, Ballard said he didn't know what was in the report, but sources told Rinehart that it details a mistake-filled investigation, concluding that no other officers committed crimes in the investigation or covered up for Bisard in the aftermath of the crash.

Police handled the crash scene as a standard accident instead of a crime scene, and a separate FBI report questioned that decision, sources told Rinehart. Officers, firefighters, ambulance personnel and the doctor who examined Bisard said they noted no sign of impairment.

The internal report indicates that the officer who witnessed the blood draw carried it around in his pants pocket for more than two hours before turning it in, Rinehart reported.

Both the FBI and the internal report, sources said, found no fault with the handling of the incident by three deputy chiefs who responded to the scene and were demoted in the aftermath of the investigation -- Lt. Darryl Pierce, a former assistant chief, Lt. John Conley, a former commander, and Lt. Ron Hicks, a former deputy chief of operations.

The FBI report was forwarded to the U.S. Department of Justice. It's unclear if its findings will ever be made public.

Watch 6News and refresh this page for updates.