Testimony continues Tuesday in David Bisard trial

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Testimony continued Tuesday in the trial of suspended Metro police officer David Bisard.

On the stand Tuesday, the State tried to lay the foundation that if not drunken driving, Bisard was certainly suspect of reckless driving.

IMPD Officer Jonathon Koors testified that he was dispatched Aug. 6, 2010 to the area of 46th Street and Priscilla Avenue on the city’s north side to help sheriff's deputies serve a warrant on a wanted felon.

Koors testified that without asking for K-9 assistance, officer Bisard dispatched himself on the run. Koors said he arrived on scene and did not find anyone so he disregarded the other units.

Koors said moments later he heard that Bisard had been involved in a serious crash. When he arrived at the scene of the crash, he went up to Bisard who said, "Thanks a lot Koors."

The officer testified that he thought Bisard was upset because he was backing him up on the run. When he walked past Bisard a second time, he heard him say, "I just hope I didn't kill anybody."

Koors ended his testimony by saying he didn't consider the warrant arrest call out an emergency run.

The IMPD report issued three months after the crash showed that at the time of the accident, Bisard had been using his laptop to communicate with another officer about ketchup, mustard, elephant ears and state fair food.

Sgt. Jeff Horn, IMPD Driver Training Supervisor, acknowledged that there's personal communication on police laptops. When asked if using a laptop while running red lights and sirens makes it more dangerous, Horn said absolutely.

More police officers and the accident reconstructionist who wrote the official report also testified Tuesday.
The state's presentation included an animated video reenactment of the Aug. 6, 2010, crash.

The video featured a combination of animation and video, and it showed two views of the crash -- overhead and through Bisard's windshield.

An IMPD accident reconstructionist has estimated that Bisard's cruiser was traveling 76 mph at the moment of impact.

One of Bisard's supervisors at the time of the crash took the stand sometime before noon Tuesday and said Bisard had had denied his blood-alcohol content level the night of the crash. The supervisor told the courtroom that he had gone to see Bisard at Bisard's home after the crash that night. The supervisor said in a conversation, Bisard told him, "There's no way I was (at) .19 (BAC)."

That same supervisor testified Tuesday that the night of the crash, he had also overheard Bisard's wife talking about Bisard's sleep troubles. The supervisor said he heard Bisard's wife say Bisard had been having a hard time sleeping, and would get up at 2 to 3 a.m. to "have a drink."

The supervisor said he wasn't sure at the time whether Bisard's wife was referring to just a drink of water or juice, or if his wife meant Bisard got up in the middle of the night to drink alcohol.

On Wednesday, the State is expected to concentrate heavily on the science and physics of the crash.

Follow Jack Rinehart on Twitter: @jackrinehart6

Print this article Back to Top