Take a look inside one of the country's haunted homes -- Franklin Castle in Cleveland.
Franklin Castle is likely northeast Ohio's most notorious haunted house.
It was built in 1864 by German-born Hannes Tiedemann. The 28-room home had a ballroom, spiral staircase, marble fireplaces, secret passages and several ghosts.
Occupants over the years have reported seeing a child dressed in turn-of-the-century garb floating through the halls, old gas pipes that vibrated and a laugh that was captured on a tape recording.
A ghost has allegedly been seen in the windows of the 9,000-square-foot castle. There are a lot of stories and legends about that particular ghost.
It's believed she is the ghost of Tiedemann's 15-year-old daughter, Emma. She was a diabetic who died Jan. 16, 1881, in the home.
A number of other people have reportedly died in the castle.
Between 1886 and 1888, the Tiedemanns buried three children. By 1908, Tiedemann's entire family, including his son, August, and his children, had died. Tiedemann died later that same year.
Tiedemann allegedly killed his niece by hanging her from one of the exposed rafters on the fourth floor. The stories reported that she was insane, and he killed her to put her out of her misery.
Tiedemann is also believed to have murdered his servant girl, Rachel, who was killed in the house on her wedding day. Some say that Rachel was his mistress and he didn't want her to marry another.
In 1913, the castle was sold to German Socialists. They used it for meetings and possibly spy operations. Reports say they were Nazi spies, and 20 were fatally shot in one of the secret rooms.
The Germans owned the house for 55 years before selling it.
One man claimed to see a face in one of the first-floor windows. No one could have been standing there because the floor drops about 8 feet below the normal floor level at that spot.
Not many people get beyond the gate of Franklin Castle.
This is the first floor as you enter the home.
It was used as the servants' quarters.
A lot of work would be needed to restore the castle.
Wallpaper is peeling in several areas.
A fire in 1999 did extensive damage.
This is the inside of the window where a man reportedly saw a face. See how the floor drops?
This is also the room where it is believed there was a tunnel to the carriage house.
The Romano family wanted to convert the home into a restaurant in 1968, but they didn't stay long enough to make it happen.
The manager of the home hopes to make this part of a new private social club.
When the Romano family moved in, Mrs. Romano sent her children upstairs to play. They came back and asked for help for their friend who was crying. No friend was found. This reportedly happened numerous times.
Mrs. Romano also claimed to hear organ music, footsteps and sounds of glass clinking on the third floor when no one else was home.
This is the second floor of the castle.
The main door of the home enters here.
From the main door, this is the main hallway.
There is a small room off to the left, and the main staircase is missing.
Emma was said to appear in the turret off the main living room.
The same type of circular room is right above it on the third floor.
Tours were offered in the home in the 1970s.
Lake Erie can be seen from the fourth-floor windows.
The castle was sold again in 1999 to Michelle Heimburger. She wanted to turn it into a bed and breakfast, but a fire in the home in November 1999 caused about $200,000 of damage. Heimburger said she had a premonition something bad would happen.
If you liked this gallery, you might like these: Inside America's largest haunted house -- http://bit.ly/H23DA1 16 haunting Victorian post-death pics -- http://bit.ly/17tAGUa PICS: 10 churches converted to homes -- http://bit.ly/17rXy6B