5 holiday decorating disasters to avoid
Holiday plants can pose some inconveniences
Last Updated: 391 days ago
The holidays are a time of joy and family ... and plants. If you think about it, horticulture plays a surprisingly large part of the holiday season.
We use evergreen Christmas trees, holly wreaths, poinsettias and other gift plants, and my favorite, mistletoe (and kissing beneath it!). All of these plants have great historical and symbolic meaning for the Christmas holiday.
Sometimes, though, holiday horticulture can cause some inconveniences. Pine needles need to be swept up; water spilled or splashed while filling the tree stand needs to be mopped up; and soil from potted plants that are knocked over by kids or pets needs to be both swept and mopped.
In some extreme cases, though, our use of plants during the holiday can lead to tragedy. Tree fires are not unheard of, and people and pets have been known to become sick after eating some of the greenery.
Don't allow our glad times to become sad times! A little bit of forethought can "wrap up" these holiday challenges ...
Dried-out Christmas trees
Cut trees are the centerpiece for Christmas decorating. But because of the dry indoor environment and their general lack of a root system, they dry out quickly. A dry tree is a flammable tree! Keeping the tree hydrated is an absolute must to keep your family safe.
And for goodness sake, never use lit candles or frayed light strings on a tree.
The next holiday horticulture disaster can really bug you ...
Christmas tree pests
Cut trees sometimes have their own organic tree ornaments already attached, in the form of egg sacs, cocoons and hibernating insects. After a few days in a nice, warm living room, they tend to hatch out, adding to the excitement of the holiday. Nothing like 100 baby praying mantises swarming the ornaments to liven up the party!
Before bringing the tree indoors, check it for hitchhikers.
Do not spray the tree with an insecticide. The chemical may make the tree more flammable, and it's not healthy to breathe in the vapors.
Of course, sometimes it's the plant itself which can cause trouble ...
A popular myth is that poinsettias are poisonous. This has been proven to be not true.
That being said, I wouldn't recommend adding one to your salad. It's always possible for someone to have an allergy to the plant (just like an allergy to strawberries); some people have been known to develop a skin irritation from the milky sap.
The berries of mistletoe can be toxic in large numbers. This is especially a concern with small pets and very young children, where just a couple of berries can be enough to cause problems. The seeds within the red berries of yews are toxic, and holly berries can cause upset stomach. All parts of the Christmas Rose (one of the hellebores) can be poisonous if eaten.
If you do go with plants as Christmas gifts, be sure to pay close attention to our next selection ...
Freezing your holiday gift plants
A popular gift for the holidays are live plants. Poinsettias and Christmas cactus are the most common, but even cut flowers add to the beauty of the season.
Last up, be sure to not let all that waste ruin your holidays ...
Holiday waste guilt
Got guilty feelings about the mountain of waste generated after Christmas? Wrapping paper, cardboard, and empty bottles of Christmas cheer can be recycled. Greeting cards are sometimes accepted by schools and nursing homes for craft projects. Boxes can be collapsed and saved for future presents, or even for mailing. Contact your local solid waste district to see what is accepted locally.
Christmas trees can also be recycled. Some communities offer free tree-chipping days, and the resulting mulch is given away for free.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.