ATLANTA, Ga. - A man working in his yard was blown out of his shoes when he was struck by lightning.
Sean O'Connor, of Atlanta, said he was working in his yard Sunday on what seemed like a perfect, sunny day.
"Just as I picked up the rake, I heard a loud-crashing sound. A few moments later I was picking myself up off the ground. I had the taste of blood in my mouth. I noticed my leg was burning a little bit," O'Connor said.
He was home alone and it took him a while to realize what had happened to him. When he realized he had been struck by lightning, he called his wife who urged him to go to the emergency room.
"My leg hairs were singed. I could smell the burnt hair. I looked across the driveway and I could see my boots over there. They were no longer on my feet and one of them was smoking. At that point, I realized I had just been hit by lightning," he said.
Because the lightning strike interrupted his heartbeat, doctors kept him in the emergency room overnight.
According to the National Weather Service, the estimated odds of being struck by lightning in a year are more than 1 in 700,000.
Knoxville Zoo shows off baby red panda boys
The Knoxville Zoo's newest red pandas are twin boys, each weighing about a pound, that spend their days nestled in their nest box at the…
Meet the wealthiest person in IN, OH and KY
An interactive map highlights the wealthiest resident of each state.
VIDEO: Homesless man's bucket sparks music
A lone man was sitting on a sidewalk, where he waited for people to add money to his bucket, when another man approached him asking to borrow…