A south side familys pets died after a fire sparked at a home in Beech Grove on Sunday morning.
Minutes before noon, Indianapolis Fire Department officials were dispatched to the 2400 block of South Audubon Road after neighbors called 911 on reports of smoke pouring from the home.
When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof of the home.
The homeowners were at church when the fire broke out, investigators said.
Firefighters said the blaze sparked in the laundry room of the home, possibly started by a space heater.
Officials said firefighters gained control of the fire within 20 minutes, and once they entered the home, they found a Chihuahua and a python snake.
CPR was performed on the dog, but officials said it succumbed to smoke inhalation and later died. The snake did not survive, officials said.
No injuries were reported and the homeowners found temporary shelter with friends.
Copyright Copyright 2011 by
All rights reserved.
This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.