Flood Warning issued April 23 at 11:02AM EDT expiring April 24 at 2:00PM EDT in effect for: Daviess, Greene, Knox
An Indianapolis attorney misappropriated more than $2.5 million in client funds for his own use, federal prosecutors said Friday.William Conour, 64, turned himself in and made an initial appearance in Indianapolis on Friday morning.Prosecutors said Conour focused on construction liability cases involving serious injury and death."The complaint alleges that Conour engaged in a scheme to defraud his clients from December 2000 to March 2012, using newly obtained settlement funds to pay old settlements and debts," the Department of Justice said in a news release.Prosecutors said that Conour kept most of his clients' settlement money and that the full amount of settlements wasn't placed into client trust accounts."Instead, Conour allegedly funded the trusts on a yearly basis with funds only sufficient to enable the client to receive monthly payments for a year," the DOJ said.Prosecutors detailed one instance in which they said Conour didn't tell a client that a settlement had been received and that the client hadn't gotten any of the proceeds.The DOJ said it thinks others may have been defrauded by Conour and that a hotline has been set up at 877-542-8979.Conour was released on the condition that he can't move any assets without court approval. He faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and $250,000 fine, if convicted.