Fumes Sicken 42 At Holiday World
Ride Repaired After Dumping Bleach, Acid Into Water
Last Updated: 1426 days ago
A filter pump malfunction in a water ride at southern Indiana's Holiday World caused fumes that sent 42 people to a hospital with breathing troubles.Park president Will Koch said the pump sent highly concentrated levels of bleach and muriatic acid into the Bahari River waters at Splashin' Safari on Saturday.Koch said lifeguards immediately got everyone out of the water ride and closed off the area. A park spokeswoman says staffers gave oxygen to those who needed it.Jasper Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Rita Howell said 24 people were taken to the hospital by ambulance and 18 arrived on their own.Two people were kept overnight for observation and have since been released.Koch said repairs have been made and the ride has reopened.Bahari River features eight wave patterns to move riders along in the water through a canyon. It also features a waterfall, according to Holiday World's Web site.