Indy firefighters rescue dog from house fire

INDIANAPOLIS - Indianapolis firefighters saved a dog from a house fire on the city’s south side Wednesday afternoon.

Rocky, a 10-year-old pit bull/terrier mix, was sleeping in the home in the 7300 block of Sandalwood Drive just before 3 p.m.

Crews with the Indianapolis Fire Department found Rocky unresponsive on the floor of his owner’s bedroom. He was having trouble breathing because of the heavy smoke.

Firefighters carried Rocky outside where a paramedic firefighter was able to resuscitate him using a Project Breathe mask. The masks were donated to IFD to help save pets after fires.

Rocky was taken to a nearby vet to be checked out. Nobody was home when the fire broke out.

Damage to the home was estimated at $40,000. Officials believe the fire was an accident -- possibly caused by overloaded electrical cords.

Print this article Back to Top