Latest Carmel Assault Plea Deal Angers Victim
Former Player Expected To Plead To 1 Charge, Have Others Dismissed
Last Updated: 1093 days ago
A victim in the assault case involving Carmel High School basketball players said Tuesday he is insulted by the latest plea deal worked out in the case.Oscar Falodun is expected to plead guilty to one count of criminal recklessness, while another count of criminal recklessness and a battery charge will be dismissed, 6News' Joanna Massee reported.According to e-mails released by the victim's attorney, the charge involving the assault against his client will be among those dropped.The boy, who was 15 at the time of the assaults, claimed he was sodomized through his shorts by older teammates.In an e-mail to the victim's father, Hamilton County Deputy Prosecutor Jamie Campbell said Falodun's deal would resemble the plea of defendant Scott Laskowski, who pleaded guilty earlier this year to one count of misdemeanor criminal recklessness, while two other counts were dismissed."It's plain to see that there are a lot of things that should not be going on in this case," the victim said Tuesday."This jurisdiction has successfully used legal speak to dismiss my son and his experience," the teen's father said. "This is not about the truth anymore. It's about maintaining the pristine image of Carmel."The family's attorney, Robert Turner, criticized Hamilton County Prosecutor Sonia Leerkamp's handling of the case."I don't know what she is, but she's not a prosecutor," he said. "She's actually an insult to the criminal justice system."The victim's mother asked members of the public to attend Falodun's plea hearing Thursday morning."If you really want justice, join with us, support what we're trying to do. It's not just our child," she said.Brandon Hoge and fellow teammate Robert Kitzinger were charged in May in connection with a school bus incident and similar incidents in a school locker room, while Falodun and Laskowski were charged only in the locker room attacks.Hoge's trial was pushed back until Feb. 24, 2011. Attorneys for Kitzinger have also been in negotiations with prosecutors.Both may also face new charges in Hendricks County. Messages left for Hendricks County Prosecutor Patricia Baldwin were not returned Tuesday.