Commercial television began in Indiana on May 30, 1949 when WFBM-TV, Channel 6, Indianapolis (the station that would later become WRTV), signed on the air.The station's first program was a documentary called "Crucible of Speed" about the early days of the Indianapolis 500. It was followed by a live telecast of the race.Consolidated Television and Radio Broadcasters, led by Harry Bitner, Sr., was the first owner of WFBM. Time, Inc. bought the station in 1957. McGraw-Hill acquired the channel in 1972 and changed the call letters to WRTV.The station was an affiliate of CBS and NBC before becoming an ABC affiliate in 1979.In 2011, WRTV was purchased by Cincinnati-based E.W. Scripps.WRTV6 is at 1330 N. Meridian St. in Indianapolis.