GREATER INDIANAPOLIS - Ah, October. It’s many Hoosiers’ favorite month, and why not? It’s full of harvest-season events, fun 5Ks and runs, fashion shows, fundraisers and festivals. Look no further for fabulous weekend events than this page.
If you have a Greater-Indianapolis area event you believe should be added to our list, send information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Heartland Apple Festival at Beasley’s Orchard & Gardens
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- 2304 E. Main St., Danville, Ind.
- 317-745-4876 // beasleys-orchard.com
- Admission: $5 per vehicle
Just a half-hour’s drive from Indianapolis, the whole family is welcome at the Heartland Apple Festival. Activities/events include: a corn maze, live entertainment, food, hayrides to the pumpkin patch and more.
Football for Felix
- 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday
- IUPUI Michael A. Carroll Stadium (1001 W. New York St., Indianapolis)
- 317-701-8171 // www.felixachochsportsfoundation.org
If you love soccer, head to IUPUI for a day of celebration and soccer in honor of Felix Davey Achoch. Achoch was an aspiring soccer player who was beaten to death in late July in Indianapolis.
FT5K (Ball State University Dance Marathon)
- Registration begins at 10 a.m. Saturday
- Ball State University Alumni Center (2800 W. Bethel Ave., Muncie)
- 317-296-7541 // www.bsudancemarathon.org
BSUDM (Ball State University Dance Marathon) is hosting its second annual 5K, FT5K. Runners/walkers are encouraged to come out dressed in superhero costumes, as prizes will be given for best costume and best-dressed organization.
Indy Hair Ball
- 6:30 to 11:30 p.m. Saturday
- Emmis Communications (One EMMIS Plaza, 40 Monument Circle, Suite 700, Indianapolis)
- Admission: $79 for one person, $150 per couple; $5 for parking
A fun night downtown includes auctions, games, entertainers, dancing, music, photos and prizes. Proceeds from the event will benefit spaying and neutering animals in order to eliminate overpopulation and the killing of healthy and treatable cats and dogs.
Stars of Pink: Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Show
- 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday
- Indianapolis Marriott Downtown (350 W. Maryland St., Indianapolis)
- 317-255-7465 // pinkribbonconnection.org
- Reservation: $75 per individual
ZERO Prostate Cancer Run (Saturday)
- Registration begins at 7:45 a.m. and runs till 9 a.m.; 5K Run/Walk and 1-Mile Walk Race Start begins at 9 a.m.; Post-Race Bash runs from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Fort Harrison State Park, Sycamore Shelter (6000 N. Post Road, Indianapolis)
- 888-245-9455 // www.kintera.org
- Registration: General (day-of) registration for the 5K walk/run is $30; general for the 5K walk/run for youth (age 15 and younger) is $20; general for 1-mile walk for adults and kids is $15.
If you’re in the mood to lace up your running shoes for a good cause, head to Fort Harrison State Park to take part in the ZERO Prostate Cancer Challenge, an event series making its way across American cities this year.