1st murder trial postponed in William Clyde Gibson case

Man told newspaper he is guilty

NEW ALBANY, Ind. - A southeastern Indiana judge has postponed the first murder trial of a New Albany man accused of killing three women.

Floyd Superior Court Judge Susan Orth on Thursday moved the trial date from February to July to allow more time for William Clyde Gibson's attorneys to prepare a defense.

The Courier-Journal of Louisville, Ky., reported (http://cjky.it/UXspF9 ) that Prosecutor Keith Henderson objected to the postponement but acknowledged that preparing for the case will be complex.

Gibson is charged in the deaths of three women: Christine Whitis, a 75-year-old family friend; 35-year-old Stephanie Kirk, who was found buried in his backyard; and 44-year-old Karen Hodella, a Florida woman found buried near Clarksville in 2003.

Gibson is to be tried in the Whitis case first. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

In a letter written to the newspaper earlier this year, Gibson said he would accept the death penalty because "after all, I am guilty."

Indiana law does not allow defendants to plead guilty and receive the death penalty.

Print this article Back to Top