2nd EMT, Cody Medley, dies after crash involving ambulance, car

IEMS 'deeply saddened' by death

INDIANAPOLIS - A second emergency medical technician died Sunday, a day after a crash involving an ambulance and a car that claimed the life of another EMT early Saturday morning.

Indianapolis EMS said Sunday morning that Cody Medley passed away at Wishard Memorial Hospital.

Medley, 22, had been with IEMS since June 2010. He was from Pennsylvania. IEMS said friends described Medley as fun and outgoing and that he enjoyed his job.

Medley had been a member of the Sunman Fire Department before joining IEMS.

"Cody was a skilled paramedic, a loyal colleague and a wonderful friend,” said Dr. Charles Miramonti, chief of Indianapolis EMS, in a news release. “While the past 28 hours have been filled with extraordinary grief, loss and sadness, we've come together to remember two extraordinary young men."

Medley's father, grandfather and step-mother attended a press conference that was held Sunday afternoon.

"I could not be prouder (of) this boy, this man right here. He's an incredible person. I wish you all could have gotten to know him," said his father, Jeff Medley.

Dr. Miramonti explained that some fellow paramedics were too grief-stricken to return to work so paramedics from other fire departments, including Pike Township and Wayne Township, had offered to fill their spots for the time being.

The families of the EMTs are planning out-of-state funerals, but Dr. Miramonti said the city was trying to organize a large tribute for both men for Thursday or later in the week.

Mayor Ballard extended his request to lower flags at all City-County facilities to half-staff to honor IEMS Specialist Medley and IEMS Private Timothy McCormick.

EMT Timothy McCormick died shortly after the crash at the intersection of St. Clair Street and Senate Avenue just after 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

"We grieve with our IEMS family as we learn of the passing of Specialist Cody Medley," said Department of Public Safety Director Troy Riggs, in a news release. "Please keep his family and his friends in your thoughts and prayers."

Crisis support teams and an employee assistance program are being made available to all IEMS staff.

Police said Jade Hammer, 21, told officers that she had consumed one and a half drinks before the crash. The traffic light at the intersection was flashing yellow for the ambulance and red for the car Hammer was driving, police said.

On Sunday afternoon, a top official involved with the case said that preliminary blood tests were “borderline” and “not a slam dunk” for being intoxicated at the time of the crash.   Police reported a delay of a couple hours in drawing her blood after the crash.

Hammer was released pending further investigation and blood alcohol content results.

Print this article Back to Top