Freezing Rain Advisory issued January 26 at 9:50PM EST expiring January 27 at 6:00AM EST in effect for: Pulaski, White
A northwestern Indiana fire official says space heaters being used to warm a house without a working furnace apparently sparked a fire that killed three children, including an infant.
Chief Fire Inspector Michael Opinker says the victims' 28-year-old father was badly burned rescuing two of his other children from the fire in Hammond. He was in critical condition at a Chicago hospital's burn unit.
Wednesday night's fire killed 7-month-old Jayden Young, his 4-year-old brother, Dasani Young and their 3-year-old sister, Alexia Young. All three died at the scene from burns.
Opinker tells The Times of Munster (http://bit.ly/1iWtrxZ ) space heaters are believed to have played a role in the fatal blaze. He says the family's home had no heat and they were using propane space heaters to heat the house.