4 escape house blaze, thanks to smoke detectors from fire department

INDIANAPOLIS - A three-generation family credited their functioning smoke detectors with saving lives Friday morning when they alerted the family to a fire that had started in their south-side home.

The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) headed to a house on fire just after 5:30 a.m. Friday in the 1700 block of Sparrow Avenue (see map below).

IFD said four people were in the home at the time: a woman, her two adult sons and a teenage granddaughter.

One of the sons said after they woke up to the sound of the smoke detectors blaring, he saw fire coming from his brother's room. He ran inside and saw the fire appeared to have started near a baseboard heater, and had spread to the wooden blinds on the room's window. He was able to wake his brother and get everyone out of the house safely.

The family said the smoke detectors had been donated to the home by IFD -- along with working batteries.

While every fire is devastating, this one had a particularly bitter side to it for the family. The woman who owns the home told RTV6 that she was just a few thousand dollars away from completely paying off the house.

None of the family members were injured in the fire.

Can't see our map? Tap or click here.

Print this article Back to Top