ANDERSON, Ind. - An Anderson ballet group is in jeopardy after a fire destroyed $52,000 in costumes they would have used for their Christmas performance of the Nutcracker.
Although the costumes were insured, time is of the essence and the Anderson Young Ballet Theatre is doubtful that the insurance money will come in time to remake the costumes.
The costumes were being stored at the Vogue Cleaners in Muncie but were burned in a fire there in May 2014.
"We lost the iconic Nutcracker," Board President Cheryl Shank.
Dancer Natalie Shively said the lack of costumes is disappointing, but the group is hoping that the show can still go on with more than 120 children signed up to participate in the production.
"We like to entertain. That's our main goal. We feel good to know we can make others feel good too," Shively said.
LouAnn Young, 84, founded the ballet company more than 40 years ago and says she's hopeful to get the money to purchase new costumes.
"I just pray that we get money in so we can at least make the costumes we are so missing," Young said.
"(If we don't) there would be thousands of people who come to the show annually as a part of their Christmas traditions. They would miss it terribly this year."
This year's show is scheduled to run from Dec. 18 through Dec. 21 at the Paramount Theater and the community is crossing its fingers that the costumes will be ready.
WATCH: Nat'l Guard returns home to Indiana fams
Tearful reunions marked the return of 10 National Guard soldiers to their Indiana home on Wednesday.
Classic cars to tout Indiana festival
Dozens of classic car owners are driving around Indiana to promote the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival near Fort Wayne this weekend.
IMPD: Infant abducted, Amber Alert issued
Police said a baby boy was in extreme danger in a statewide Amber Alert case that began Wednesday.
Indiana gets grant to fight bat disease
Indiana will receive $36,500 from the federal government in hopes of curbing the spread of white-nose syndrome, a fungus that can be fatal to…
Purdue students get funds for Africa projects
Two teams of Purdue University students have been awarded nearly $20,000 for projects intended to boost an African village's water supply and…
Explosion at Indiana BP refinery felt miles away
An explosion sparked a fire at the same Indiana BP refinery that saw roughly 1,600 gallons of oil spilled into Lake Michigan last spring.