WESTFIELD, Ind. - A child caused a Westfield day care to catch fire Thursday evening, officials said.
Crews responded to Amiguitos day care in the 200 block of Jersey Street just before 6 p.m., officials with the Westfield Fire Department said.
Officials said the fire was caused by a child who turned on the electric stove while a plastic tray from a high chair was on top of the stove.
A responding police officer was treated at the scene before being transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. The officer has since been released from the hospital.
The day care will be closed Friday to allow for cleanup.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.
Love those cans! Brewery hosts can-only festival
Canned-beer lovers rejoice -- there's a festival in the Midwest that celebrates your favorite form of beer containment and it's right here in…
Body found near pond along I-69 identified
Authorities say they've determined the identity of the man whose body was found this month near an Interstate 69 interchange in central Indiana.
How to turn in your old, unwanted drugs
Indiana residents can get rid of their expired or unwanted prescription drugs at dozens of locations around the state next week.
EPA adds Elkhart site to priority cleanup list
The federal government has added a 70-acre contaminated site in northern Indiana to the Superfund program's priority cleanup list.
Indiana mayor completes service in Afghanistan
The mayor of South Bend is on his way back home from a military deployment to Afghanistan that began nearly seven months ago.
Woman guilty of giving gun to convicted murderer
A northern Indiana woman has been found guilty of giving a gun to her live-in boyfriend even though she knew he was a convicted murderer.