Child hospitalized after eating 21 clonazepam pills, mother charged with felonies
Police say mom intended to sell pills
Last Updated: 233 days ago
GREENWOOD, Ind. - A 3-year-old girl is in the hospital after ingesting nearly two dozen clonazepam pills, police said.
Greenwood police responded to the Polo Run Apartments Thursday after Farris Joan Ryan, 20, called 911 because her daughter was unresponsive.
"As the officers rolled up, the suspect was out front with her 3-year-old daughter in her arms, and the child was unresponsive," said Matt Fillenwarth, assistant chief of Greenwood police.
EMS crews rushed the child to the emergency room at Community South Hospital, police said.
Ryan told police that she had been doing dishes when she noticed her kids were being quiet then she noticed her daughter could not stand up on her own and was unsteady and couldn't hold her head up, police said.
Police said Ryan then checked her bedroom and noticed that a plastic baggie that had contained 21 .5mg clonazepam tablets had been taken from her nightstand and was empty on the floor.
Ryan tried to make her daughter vomit before she called 911, police said.
Police said Ryan told them she did not have a prescription for the drug but had gotten them from a friend to treat back pain.
Ryan later told a Department of Child Services employee that she had intended to sell the pills, which she had done in the past, police said.
Ryan was arrested on preliminary felony charges of neglect of a dependent and possession of a controlled substance.
Ryan bonded out just an hour after being arrested.
Police said as of Thursday, doctors said the child would be OK.
The girl's grandmother has custody until DCS completes their investigation.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.