INDIANAPOLIS - Nobody was injured in a fire at an apartment building on the city’s east side Thursday evening.
The fire was reported at Farmington Lake Apartments in the 7800 block of Brookfield Court, near East 38th Street and North Franklin Road, just before 6:30 p.m.
Authorities with the Indianapolis Fire Department said the fire started after food was left unattended on the stove. A 29-year-old mother ran to a nearby store and left her two sons, 6 and 10, alone.
The boys, wearing only their underwear, ran outside and told nearby adults that there was a fire in their apartment.
The mother returned and picked up her boys and left the scene, IFD said. She came back about two hours later to speak with investigators.
IFD said smoke detectors alerted residents to the fire. Two dogs needed to be rescued and firefighters assisted several residents out the door.
One firefighter suffered a slight injury from falling ceiling drywall, officials said. No other injuries were reported, but one cat died in the fire.
Thirty residents were displaced after the fire. Some were receiving help from IFD Victim Assistance and the Red Cross and others were planning to stay with relatives.
Damage was estimated at $300,000.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.