INDIANAPOLIS - A man was seriously injured in an accident on the city’s northeast side Monday evening.
The incident happened near East 20th and North Olney streets just before 9:30 p.m., officials with the Indianapolis Fire Department said.
Authorities said a 52-year-old man was visiting the residence when he was injured. IFD said he was carrying two bags of clothes to the basement when he tripped down the stairs. Witnesses said he may have been smoking a cigarette at the time.
Officials said they believed the cigarette caught the bags of clothes on fire. The man suffered burn injuries to his lower legs and was taken to Eskenazi Health in serious condition.
Damage to the home was estimated at $100.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.
George suffers serious leg injury in exhibition
Indiana Pacers All-Star Paul George suffered a gruesome right leg injury late in the U.S. national team's intrasquad scrimmage Friday night.
Abandoned baby found in bathroom trash can
An abandoned baby was found in a trash can on the city's west side Friday evening.
Indiana State Fair gets underway for 17-day run
The Indiana State Fair kicked off its 17-day run with its usual confections and hearty treats as well as alcoholic drinks for the first time…
New alarm ordinance allows 1 violation per year
Changes to the city's alarm ordinance will impact any Hoosiers that have a home or business security system.
T'Storms redevelop Saturday
Summer warmth returns next week!
New task force tackles school dropout rates
School is starting again across Indiana and a new task force will set out to tackle school dropout rates.