David Bisard Trial enters third week

FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The prosecution rested its case in the trial against suspended Indiana Metro Police Officer David Bisard on Monday evening, nearly three years and three months after the crash at the center of the case.

The trial entered its third week on Monday, picking up with the prosecution's focus on blood evidence, RTV6 reporter Jack Rinehart reported.

Bisard, who's accused of DUI, crashed into a group of motorcyclists in August 2010. Eric Wells died in the crash, and two others, Mary Wells and Kurt Weekly, were seriously injured.

Special Section: David Bisard Trial (http://bit.ly/17jXANK)

The state's case Monday focused on getting the second vial of Bisard's blood admitted into evidence. The vial's viability has been contested, because it was moved to an unrefrigerated facility for storage.

The state called a geneticist to the stand Monday to testify that, based on DNA, the blood samples contain Bisard's blood.

The state succeeded in getting the second blood vial admitted into evidence.

Despite the fact that it was stored unrefrigerated off-site in a property room annex, it was admitted into the case.

That test showed that Bisard had a blood-alcohol level of 0.18 percent, which is more than twice the legal limit.

A biologist from the Marion County Crime Lab was able to show conclusively through DNA testing that the blood in both vials belonged to that of the defendant.

A consultant from an Indianapolis-based crash reconstruction firm testified that Bisard was driving at least 75 miles an hour less than a second before the crash.

At some point, six-tenths to eight-tenths of a second before the impact, Bisard hit the brakes hard and attempted to swerve left to avoid the motorcycles, the consultant said.

The consultant testified that Bisard struck the first motorcycle at 60 miles an hour.

The prosecution waited until the very end to show the jury a video recreation of the accident.

The video showed three views of the crash, but not one of them lasted longer than 25 seconds.

One view was of the road, the other was a view that allegedly depicted Bisard's view through the windshield.

The final view was an overhead view that allegedly portrayed the impact of Bisard's car with the motorcycles that incorporated actual photos of the crash site.

Under cross examination, the company that generated the animation admitted that it did so without talking to all the witnesses and without consulting in detail all evidence generated during the investigation.

Lawyers called witnesses to the stand as they started their defense Monday evening.

Follow Jack Rinehart on Twitter: @jackrinehart6

Print this article Back to Top