Dog's barking helps couple escape from house fire
Fire likely sparked by propane tank
Last Updated: 248 days ago
ELLETTSVILLE, Ind. - A southern Indiana couple said their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a back yard grill.
The couple said their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the dog.
The home's owner, Lou Shelton, said the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill, the Herald-Times reported.
Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis said the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home.
Davis said the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.