Driver pleads not guilty in deaths of 2 pedestrians who moved to Seattle from Kokomo

Man has extensive DUI arrest history

SEATTLE - A driver suspected of killing two pedestrians from Kokomo and critically injuring a young woman and the infant she was carrying pleaded not guilty Thursday to vehicular homicide, vehicular assault and reckless driving.

Mark W. Mullan, 50, has a long history of DUI arrests and is being held on $2.5 million bail in Seattle in the deadly crash, KOMO-TV reported .

Investigators said Mullan was drunk when he crashed into the victims on the afternoon of March 25.

Mullan told police he couldn't see the people because the sun was in his eyes, according to court documents.

He entered his not guilty plea Thursday morning in King County Superior Court to two charges of vehicular homicide, two charges of vehicular assault and one count of reckless driving.

If convicted of all the charges, Mullan could face 15 to 19 years in prison.

According to a police report, officers smelled alcohol on Mullan's breath and said he showed signs of severe impairment.

Mullan admitted to officers that he had a drink in the morning, but a Breathalyzer test registered a blood-alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit, the report said.

Family and friends identified the victims as Dennis Schulte, 66, and Judy Schulte, 68. Their 33-year-old daughter-in-law, Karina Schulte, and their 10-day-old grandson, Elias Jose, were critically injured and remain in Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Judy Schulte was an English teacher and guidance counselor who had led a campaign in schools against drunk driving.

Dennis was a retired teacher and coach. He spent more than three decades at Western High School.

The Schultes had recently moved to Seattle to be closer to their son, Dan, and their grandson.

The day of the crash was the first time that Karina had ventured for a walk after giving birth to her son, and it was also the day her husband returned to work, according to court documents.

Court records show that Mullan was arrested five times for DUI before the March 25 crash.

A few months ago, Mullan showed up drunk to court to deal with a previous DUI case, officials said.

When he arrived in court, the prosecutor smelled alcohol on his breath and the judge forced him to take a Breathalyzer test.

Mullan's blood-alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit in that case, and he was jailed on the spot.

When he was released on bail two weeks later, Mullan was ordered to install an interlock device on his truck.

Police said Mullan ignored the court order.

A memorial service for the Schulte family was held in Russiaville on Wednesday night.

Print this article Back to Top