INDIANAPOLIS - Multiple ambulances were called to a house on the south side early Friday morning as firefighters fought to control flames in the building.
Crews were called to a house on the 2300 block of Beecher Street around 4:30 a.m. Friday after a fire sparked while the 73-year-old homeowner was cooking bacon.
The homeowner, identified as Patricia Bunten, attempted to put the fire out with water and flour, but had no success, according to IFD Capt. Rita Reith.
Neighbors told RTV6 that they woke up and heard a woman's screams coming from the house.
When firefighters arrived, Bunten told them her 53-year-old sister was still in the home. Crews located her in a bedroom and brought her out to medics, who rushed her to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition.
Early estimates had damage to the home at $75,000.
This is a developing story. Check back with RTV6 for updates.
Indiana gets $1.4M grant to study violent deaths
Indiana's state health agency has won a $1.4 million federal grant to help it conduct an in-depth analysis of the factors behind homicides…
Parents of soldier to discuss law named for him
The parents of an Indiana National Guardsman who took his own life while home on leave from Afghanistan are going to talk about the pending…
Indiana high court upholds public intox. law
The Indiana Supreme Court says it's OK for police to arrest people who get drunk and annoy others in public settings.
Flu worries prompt more Indiana hospitals
More Indiana hospitals are being advised to put temporary visitor restrictions in place to try to protect patients and staff from the flu virus.
Escapee caught after 22 years living in Kokomo
A man who escaped prison in 1992 has been found living under an assumed name in Kokomo.
Marion County sheriff's deputy charged with rape
A Marion County sheriff's deputy was charged with rape this week, Call 6 Investigator Kara Kenney has learned.