MFD: Fatal Marion fire caused by child playing with cigarette lighter

MARION, Ind. - An early morning house fire that claimed the life of a Marion woman on Sunday was caused by a child playing with a cigarette lighter, officials said.

At around 2:11 a.m., Marion police and firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire at 537 East Sherman Street.

Upon arrival, officers saw flames coming from the structure. Witnesses told police that four people had escaped from the home, but that one person might still be inside.

Officers made entry through the front door, but were unable to proceed much further into the home due to heavy smoke.  They then broke a window and yelled into the home, but received no reply.

Firefighters were eventually able to contain the fire and make entry into the home, where they found the body of a woman in a bedroom.

Three MPD officers were treated for smoke inhalation at Marion General Hospital due to the incident.

Print this article Back to Top