CARMEL, Ind. - A fire at a large home in Carmel caused more than $300,000 in damages early Wednesday.
Just after 5:30 a.m., witnesses reported heavy smoke and flames shooting from the roof of a residence in the 500 block of East 111th Street.
Carmel Fire Marshall Bruce Knott said the homeowner was asleep when the fire sparked, but he was quickly awakened by the home's alarm system.
Although the homeowner escaped the fire unharmed, he was hospitalized for observation, officials said.
Investigators said the fire appeared to have started in the rear of the home where the homeowner said he had been grilling the night before.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.