FISHERS - Lightning struck a tree that eventually sparked a fire inside a Fishers home early Tuesday.
About 2:30 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to a home near the 11000 block of Brooks School Road on reports of a fire.
Crews said heavy smoke and flames were shooting from the basement of the home and crews worked for nearly an hour to get the blaze under control.
Investigators said lightning struck a tree across the street from the home and officials believe the lightning traveled through the home's wiring, sparking the fire in an electrical storage area.
The homeowner escaped without injury. The fire caused an estimated $260,000 worth of damage to the home, officials said.
Watch RTV6 and refresh for updates.