INDIANAPOLIS - The U.S. Attorney's office filed federal charges Thursday against an Indianapolis man accused of two carjackings in March of 2013.
U.S. Attorney Joseph Hogsett announced Thursday that Jaime Martinez-Elvir, 32, had been charged with carjacking and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence in connection with two alleged carjackings on March 31, 2013.
According to court documents, on the morning of March 31 Martinez invaded a home on the 800 block of North Sherman Drive, where he robbed a husband and wife at gunpoint and then forced them to drive him to a bar on the east side. During the incident, Martinez is accused of firing his gun, though no one was hit.
Later that day, Martinez is accused of committing a second carjacking near Washington and Belmont. During that incident, police allege Martinez forced a victim to drive at gunpoint to an ATM to withdraw money. When no money was available, Martinez allegedly fired a shot into the dashboard of the victim's car.
“The revolving door of justice was closed for Mr. Martinez today,” said Hogsett. “Those individuals who choose to view federal firearms laws as mere ‘suggestions’ will spend a long time in prison contemplating their actions.”
If convicted, Martinez faces up to 15 years in prison for the carjacking and a sentence of 10 years to life on the gun charge.
See if severe weather could be in your area tonight.
Follow the path of incoming storms in central Indiana.
The Indiana Department of Transportation is receiving complaints about bent rims and blown tires as a result of road work on U.S. 40…
More than 30 vehicles were broken into Thursday night in Fishers.
Carl Williams said he doesn't want one man's actions to define all of the police.