Fire damages historic brick building near downtown Indianapolis
No injuries reported
Last Updated: 207 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A fire raged in a historic building near downtown Indianapolis Wednesday afternoon, causing half a million dollars in damage.
The fire broke out around 3 p.m. at the Indy Telcom Center at 600 Kentucky Avenue, near Lucas Oil Stadium. The 14,000-square-foot brick building was built in 1894.
Four employees were in the building when the fire started, but no injuries were reported. The employees told fire crews the fire started near the floorboard of the building, and they think the cause was electrical.
Two firefighters suffered slight injuries, but they were treated at the scene and released.
Flames were shooting from the second-floor windows at the height of the blaze, and Indianapolis Fire Department crews took about 45 minutes to get the fire under control.
Firefighters were ordered to evacuate the building due to fear of collapse. The floor of the second story burned through, but it did not collapse, IFD officials said.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.