Fire displaces 16 residents from local women's shelter
No major injuries reported
Last Updated: 336 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A fire at a local women’s shelter has forced 16 residents out of their home Saturday night.
Residents at the Dove Recovery House for Women on Highland Avenue noticed the smell of smoke and called 911.
Crews evacuated all of the residents and found a small fire in the basement.
Crews had the fire under control within 30 minutes.
The displaced residents had to spend Saturday night away from the building because crews cut off the gas and electricity to the home.
One firefighter was taken to Methodist Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Damage is estimated around $10,000, a news release said.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.