INDIANAPOLIS - Investigators believe a fire that's pushed dozens of residents out of their homes was started by a welding torch Thursday morning.
The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) headed to the fire at roughly 10:20 a.m. at the Meridian Hills apartments in the 800 block of Lincolnwood Lane.
Eight units of the apartments were affected by the blaze, with roughly 24 residents being displaced. IFD said one person suffered a slight injury in the fire, being taken to the hospital with minor burns.
IFD investigators who spoke with the apartment complex's owner said there had been workers there with a welding torch, which may have sparked the fire.
Investigators said one of the workers suffered some burns and was taken to St. Vincent Hospital to be checked out.
Officials estimated the fire caused $500,000 in damage.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.