Fire officials credit Woman with saving neighbor from burning home
Woman broke window to alert neighbor to fire
Last Updated: 246 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A woman was credited with saving the life of her neighbor whose home caught fire early Sunday morning.
Indianapolis fire Capt. Rita Burris said crews from IFD and the Beech Grove Fire Department were called to a home at the intersection of Southeastern Avenue and Fisher Road just before 1:30 a.m.
"Michelle Hargraves was notified by her children that the neighbor's house was on fire," Burris said in a news release. "Springing into action, Michelle ran next door and tried to kick in the door to no avail."
Burris said Hargraves, 44, then broke a window in the home with her hand and climbed into the home, running to a back bedroom to wake Lois Sprinkle, 70.
"Without working smoke detectors, Lois was unaware of the heavy fire in her garage," Burris said.
The women got out of the home through the front door. Hargraves was treated for cuts to her hand from breaking the window. Sprinkle was not injured.
The fire began in the garage of the home. Damage was estimated at $70,000.
Fire officials stressed the importance of maintaining working smoke detectors in homes.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.