Fireworks blamed for damage to Noblesville house
Last Updated: 161 days ago
NOBLESVILLE, Ind. - An errant firework shot is being blamed for causing a fire that damaged a suburban Indianapolis home.
Officials in Noblesville say the firework broke through a first-floor window and caught a couch on fire late Thursday.
Fire officials say a resident of the subdivision was shooting fireworks into the air when one tipped and shot across the street into the house.
"People don't necessarily think about it, but in our community we have lots and lots of housing additions," said Rick Russell, with the Noblesville Fire Department. "The next door neighbor may be six to 12 to 15 feet away from you, so there is a lot that could go wrong."
Neighbors worked quickly to put the fire out with a garden hose.
No one was inside the house at the time and no injuries were reported. Damage to the house was estimated at $5,000.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.