FISHERS, Ind. - A crime watch alert was issued for Fishers residents on Wednesday after an investigation into a previous home break-in.
Police responded to a residential burglary in the Brooks Landing neighborhood, near 104th Street and Olio Road, on July 23.
An investigation revealed that prior to the burglary, the suspect broke into the resident’s vehicle that was parked at a local business near 116th Street and Olio Road.
Investigators believe the suspect took a garage door opener and used the vehicle registration in the car to find the victim’s address and break into the home.
Officials encouraged residents to secure their vehicle registrations and garage door openers in a locked glove box or trunk.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Cesar Rodriguez at 317-595-3300.
Police offered some of the following home safety tips:
- Install exterior lights at all entrances. Consider motion detector lights.
- Check who is at the door and do not open the door to anyone you don't know.
- Leave a light on when you are not home. If you are on vacation, use a timer to control lighting.
- Remove house keys from your keychain when your car is serviced.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery when you are away.
- Close window blinds at night.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed. Do not let plants block doors and windows.
Police said to report anything suspicious at 317-773-1282 (non-emergency) or 911.
Children's Museum proposes $10M expansion
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis has asked for permission to build a 15,000-square-foot sports pavilion on the north side of its campus.
Family to sue YMCA over drowning death
Just days ahead of the start of swimming season, one Indiana family is sending out a warning, saying you shouldn't always assume the…
2014 Indy 500 was 2nd-closest finish ever
The second closest finish in Indy 500 history did not disappoint.
Next 3 Days: Humid with chance of PM T'Storms
Threat for afternoon T'Storms continues for next three days.
TRAFFIC: How to get to IMS on Sunday
One of the challenges Indy 500 fans will face on Sunday is exactly how to get to IMS.