FISHERS, Ind. - A crime watch alert was issued for Fishers residents on Wednesday after an investigation into a previous home break-in.
Police responded to a residential burglary in the Brooks Landing neighborhood, near 104th Street and Olio Road, on July 23.
An investigation revealed that prior to the burglary, the suspect broke into the resident’s vehicle that was parked at a local business near 116th Street and Olio Road.
Investigators believe the suspect took a garage door opener and used the vehicle registration in the car to find the victim’s address and break into the home.
Officials encouraged residents to secure their vehicle registrations and garage door openers in a locked glove box or trunk.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Cesar Rodriguez at 317-595-3300.
Police offered some of the following home safety tips:
- Install exterior lights at all entrances. Consider motion detector lights.
- Check who is at the door and do not open the door to anyone you don't know.
- Leave a light on when you are not home. If you are on vacation, use a timer to control lighting.
- Remove house keys from your keychain when your car is serviced.
- Stop mail and newspaper delivery when you are away.
- Close window blinds at night.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed. Do not let plants block doors and windows.
Police said to report anything suspicious at 317-773-1282 (non-emergency) or 911.
Man accused of trying to cut baby out of woman
A Camby man is accused of trying to cut his unborn child out of his girlfriend using a machete.
Retired deputy arrested on federal charges
A retired Delaware County Sheriff's deputy has been arrested and is facing federal charges.
Bloomington brothers make citizen's arrest
Although they don't recommend them, Bloomington Police say citizen's arrests are legal, but only if you perform one to stop a felony…
Richmond HIll: Shirley says she feared for life
Monserrate Shirley told jurors Thursday she lied about her involvement in the Richmond Hill Explosion because she feared for her and her…
Cigarette catches woman's hair on fire, spreads
Firefighters say an apartment unit was damaged on the city's northwest side after a woman's cigarette caught her hair on fire and…