Guests at east side motel escape after fire sparks in laundry room
Cause of fire under investigation
Last Updated: 242 days ago
Indianapolis - An east side Indianapolis motel was evacuated early Friday after a fire sparked in the laundry room.
Just before midnight, Indianapolis Fire Department crews were called to the Country Hearth Inn and Suites near 21 st Street and Post Road on reports of a fire inside a two-story building.
Emergency dispatchers said they were flooded with 911 calls from guests staying at the motel reporting heavy smoke and flames shooting out of a window.
Firefighters were able to gain control of the flames within 20 minutes.
Officials said they estimated the fire caused nearly $40,000 in damages.
Investigators said the fire may have been sparked by a heater or air conditioner.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.