House fire in Attica that killed dad, 2 girls was electrical, fire investigators say
3-year-old, 18-month-old killed
Last Updated: 280 days ago
ATTICA, Ind. - A house fire that killed a western Indiana man and his two young daughters was sparked by an electrical problem, investigators said.
Attica Fire Chief Ed O'Farrell said Thursday the fire began in the home's kitchen/dining area and was electrical in nature and accidental.
The Feb. 26 fire about 70 miles northwest of Indianapolis killed Lance Ward and his two daughters, 3-year-old Sage and 18-month-old Ryleigh. Ward's wife was not home at the time of the fire.
The Journal & Courier reports smoke and flames were so intense firefighters were initially unable to enter the home.
A Give Forward drive has raised more than $4,000 for the family, and a Ward family memorial fund has been established at Fowler State Bank, 510 Indiana 28 East in Williamsport.
A chili benefit and silent auction set from noon to 8 p.m. March 16 is in the works. The event will be held at West Mill Social, 115 W. Mill St. in Attica.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.