Nothing beats a cup of steaming apple cider on a crisp fall day. This recipe is great, calling for fresh apple cider and pure maple syrup. It can be made with or without alcohol, making it delicious for anyone!
- 6 cups apple cider (store-bought or homemade, but without preservatives)
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 orange peel, cut into strips
- 1 lemon peel, cut into strips
1. Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
2. Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, orange peel and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string. Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture.
3. Place the saucepan over medium heat for 5 or 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling.
4. Remove the cider from the heat. Discard the spice bundle. Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
If you're making hard apple cider, just add the amount of alcohol you desire to the hot apple cider before you remove the cider from heat. A few types of alcohol that go well in apple cider are cinnamon schnapps, spiced rum or vodka.