INDIANAPOLIS - A family of five was safe after a 5-year-old girl accidentally started a house fire on the city’s east side Monday evening.
The fire happened in the 3800 block of North Kitley Avenue just before 7:30 p.m., officials with the Indianapolis Fire Department said.
Officials said the 5-year-old alerted the family to the fire. The child later admitted to investigators that she started playing with a lighter in a bedroom while she was watching TV. Authorities said she accidentally set the mattress on fire.
Crews said the blaze caused more than $50,000 in damage and the parents and their children would have to find somewhere else to stay.
Firefighters were also working with the family to educate the kids about the dangers of fire.
Indiana gets grant to fight bat disease
Indiana will receive $36,500 from the federal government in hopes of curbing the spread of white-nose syndrome, a fungus that can be fatal to…
Purdue students get funds for Africa projects
Two teams of Purdue University students have been awarded nearly $20,000 for projects intended to boost an African village's water supply and…
Explosion at Indiana BP refinery felt miles away
An explosion sparked a fire at the same Indiana BP refinery that saw roughly 1,600 gallons of oil spilled into Lake Michigan last spring.
WATCH: Nat'l Guard returns home to Indiana fams
Tearful reunions marked the return of 10 National Guard soldiers to their Indiana home on Wednesday.
When thieves come knocking, tell them to scram
After someone attempted to break into a home during the day, police in Johnson County gave advice on how not to become a victim.
The Indianapolis Colts are coming to RTV6
The Indianapolis Colts are coming to RTV6 for the home opener Sept. 15 against the Philadelphia Eagles.