INDIANAPOLIS - A family of five was safe after a 5-year-old girl accidentally started a house fire on the city’s east side Monday evening.
The fire happened in the 3800 block of North Kitley Avenue just before 7:30 p.m., officials with the Indianapolis Fire Department said.
Officials said the 5-year-old alerted the family to the fire. The child later admitted to investigators that she started playing with a lighter in a bedroom while she was watching TV. Authorities said she accidentally set the mattress on fire.
Crews said the blaze caused more than $50,000 in damage and the parents and their children would have to find somewhere else to stay.
Firefighters were also working with the family to educate the kids about the dangers of fire.
Will Final Four travelers use Greenwood airport?
Greenwood airport officials hope a renovated terminal, a new communications system and low jet fuel prices will attract private jets bringing…
Is Indiana one of the most miserable states?
For all of the positive national press Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio seem to receive on a regular basis, a recent breakdown of a well-being…
ALERT: Freezing rain to make Tuesday a.m. messy
It's a StormTeam 6 Alert Day. We want you to be on alert for re-freezing snow after nearly 8 inches fell across the area on Sunday.…
Counties get $8M to get rid of blighted homes
Indiana's latest wave of funding to demolish vacant and abandoned homes that are often magnets for crime is sending nearly $8 million to 14…
Lafayette police issue warning about IRS fraud
A northern Indiana police department has issued a warning that someone is using its non-emergency telephone number as part of a scam.
Rally planned against repeal of common wage law
Indiana contractors plan to rally against a proposal that would repeal the state law that sets wages for public construction projects.