IFD: Family escapes house fire on Indianapolis' west side
Fire likely sparked by space heater, officials say
Last Updated: 380 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - An extensive fire on the city's west side forced a family from their home early Monday, Indianapolis Fire Department officials said.
Firefighters were called to the 1000 block of North Tremont Street just after 1 a.m., on reports of a structure fire.
IFD spokesman Dean Johnson said a stubborn fire hydrant delayed initial efforts to douse the flames.
"(Firefighters) got water to the fire probably after a two or three minute delay. That's quite a bit of time when you've got a house fire," Johnson said.
A woman and her children escaped the fire unharmed, officials said.
Investigators said multiple space heaters being used inside the home may have sparked the blaze.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.