IFD: House fire sparked by kids playing with lighter
'Kids have natural curiosity about fire'
Last Updated: 104 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - Crews said a Saturday morning fire was started by children playing with a lighter and setting a mattress ablaze in a home on the city’s southwest side.
The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) was sent to a two-story structure fire just before 10:40 a.m. at 2205 W. Morris St.
When crews arrived, IFD said smoke was showing from the second floor of the house, and crews began an offensive attack. The nine IFD crews and one Wayne Township crew were able to get the fire under control in less than 10 minutes.
Investigators said unattended children playing with a lighter is believed to be the cause of the fire.
The house is divided into two units: 2205 and 2207. Alisha Luttrell, 25, rents 2205 and has children ages 6 and 7. Brandi Luttrell, 28, and her two children ages 5 and 8 were visiting Alisha.
IFD said the four children told firefighters they were in a bedroom playing with a lighter they had found in another part of the house. The children said after accidentally setting the mattress on fire, they had run downstairs to alert their mothers. All six were able to get out unharmed.
The other side of the house was occupied, and the resident also escaped unharmed. IFD said both families will stay with relatives.
IFD has ruled it an accidental fire, but wants to remind residents who may use lighters or matches in their homes to keep them out of the reach of kids. IFD said children have a natural curiosity about fire and lighters in particular, as many appear to be like a toy for a child.
If you notice your child or any other child showing an unusual interest in fire, IFD said do not hesitate to call the IFD Fire Stop Hotline, Juvenile Fire Setter Intervention program at 317-327-3473
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.