Ind. teen dies from gunshot wound to his chest

Police: Shooting appears to be an accident

ANDERSON, Ind. - Police investigating the fatal shooting of a 13-year-old central Indiana boy say initial reports suggest the shooting was an accident.

Logan Anthony Armendariz was pronounced dead Monday afternoon at St. Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital after suffering a single gunshot wound to the chest.

Police said they believe Armendariz was shot by a younger sibling after the children obtained a .22 caliber handgun kept in a locked gun cabinet.

"I believe this other sibling, this is going to be very hard on him," said Anderson Police Chief Larry Callahan.

The boy's stepfather told police he kept four guns locked in the cabinet, and that he believed he'd emptied them all of ammunition.

"There were other guns in the safe. They were completely unloaded," Callahan said. "This was an older gun with one round still in the handgun."

According to the children's mother, she had just called to check on their wellbeing when the younger sibling reported Armendariz was having an "asthma attack."

The mother said she promptly called 911. An ambulance transported the teen to the emergency room, where the bullet wound was discovered.

Anderson Police Department spokesman Officer Joel Sandefur said the Middletown boy's shooting is still being investigated, but preliminary reports indicate it was an accident.

The results of that investigation will be forwarded to the Madison County Prosecutor's office for review to determine if any charges will be filed, but Anderson Police said they don't expect charges to be filed.

The teen's great-grandmother, Betty Pruett, told The Herald Bulletin that she and other relatives are devastated but still aren't sure what happened.

Armendariz' obituary says he was an incoming seventh grader at Daleville Junior-Senior High School, where he was an honor-roll student and played basketball.

Teachers, administrators and students planned to gather in the Daleville Elementary cafeteria Wednesday night to hold a memorial service for Armendariz. 

Principal Kimberly Beard said she'd hung a piece of Armendariz's artwork in her office on Sunday, just 24 hours before his death.

Beard plans to leave the artwork up.

"I think it will serve as a reminder of what a great kid he was. And a reminder that it is very important that we share with every child how much we love them," she said.

Print this article Back to Top