INDIANAPOLIS - Lawrence police are blaming bad bullets for the temporary shutdown of their practice range after a second officer was injured in a shooting mishap this week.
On Friday, the department closed its facility on the 9500 block of East 59th Street after a second mishap involving their .40 caliber Glock 22 service guns.
The city of Lawrence said it believes the problem stems from a batch of RWS Cooper Matrix NTF bullets.
That ammunition is lead-free, and the department says, per federal workplace rules, they are to use that type of bullet in training.
"These are bullets that are used specifically in the training facility," said Thomas Cook, deputy chief of staff for the city of Lawrence. "They're specially designed for the target practice. The officers go in for their regular qualifications, and they're used for that purpose only. This has no effect on our beat cops out there on the street."
Both injuries occurred when the bullets apparently caused officers' guns to malfunction and break apart, causing burns to the hands, according to Cook.
Cook said the department has removed all of the practice range bullets from its circulation, and that the officer injured on Friday was released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
Does a ghost haunt Indiana town's Story Inn?
Halloween is just over a week away and one Indiana business is taking advantage of the spooky atmosphere.
Ind. suspect was violent long before 7 killings
There were signs years ago of increasing violence against women by Darren Deon Vann.
Former Marion Co. Sheriff Jack Cottey dies
Former Marion County Sheriff Jack Cottey has died, his family confirmed Tuesday evening.
State responds to David Bisard's appeal
The state has responded to the appeal filed by lawyers for former Indianapolis officer David Bisard in July.
Officers find 5-foot gator in east-side home
Indianapolis Animal Care and Control officers went looking for dogs and lizards at a home on the city's east side, but they did not expect to…
Alligator owner, city reach settlement
A woman who housed a 5-foot alligator in her tub has reached a settlement agreement with Indianapolis Animal Care and Control, Call 6…