Molly Ellis with the Hendricks County Humane Society said the bacteria often comes from the urine of rodents or other animals and can be easily spread when it rains.
“I know from reading some of the CDC reports here that they have tested wildlife - which is how it normally spreads - in all Indiana counties and every single county came up positive for it,” said Ellis.
According to the CDC, the bacteria can survive in the water or soil for weeks to months after contamination.
“The dog picks up the bacteria, usually on their paws, and they ingest it when they lick their feet. Then they touch you, and then you touch your mouth, and it causes severe organ damage,” said Ellis. “It can be fatal in dogs and people.”
The bacteria can enter the body through the nose, mouth, eyes or through "a break in the skin," according to the CDC.
It can take up to 21 days for symptoms of Leptospirosis to appear.