INDIANAPOLIS - Nathan Burch and his brother-in-law Michael Wilson were driving down West Caven Street on Saturday when they saw smoke billowing from a home. They immediately pulled over and called 911 – but their actions didn't stop there.
Fearing there were people inside, Burch tried to kick in the back door of the home. When that didn't work, he broke the window and reached in to open the door.
"I took deep breaths and stayed under the smoke," Burch said. "Once I got to the guy, you could see he was bad off and unconscious – burnt from the waist up."
Although running into a burning building isn't exactly recommended, Wayne Township Fire Department Captain Mike Pruitt says he has no criticisms for the men.
"When somebody jumps in and does something good, obviously you are not gonna criticize them for that," Pruitt said. "They made an adult choice to get in there and help somebody, and fortunately they were successful in getting that individual out of the home. I commend them for their bravery."
Burch said he didn't think of the danger before acting.
"It's a life," he said. "You gotta do what you can. I didn't think my life was on the line at that second. I felt like I could get him safely, and that's what I did."
This isn't the first time Burch has pulled someone from a burning building. In 2004 he was inducted into the Red Cross Hall of Fame for rescuing a woman and her then-15-month-old daughter from a fire .
Burch says he doesn't know why he's been positioned to help in two different fires, but that any time he has a chance to help, he will.
The victim in the fire was still listed in serious condition at Eskenazi Hospital on Sunday night. Firefighters said they believed a space heater caused the fire, which caused an estimated $20,000 worth of damage.