Man, two dogs make it out of smoky house fire
Last Updated: 60 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A man was sent to the hospital and two dogs were rescued from a house fire early Sunday morning on the city’s far east side.
The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) said just before 3:30 a.m., 11 units were sent to 7996 E. 10th St. to fight a house fire.
Officials said a sleeping man was injured after waking up to a house full of smoke, and he narrowly escaped succumbing to its toxic effects. He was able to make it out and dial 911, and was later transported to Wishard Hospital for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters said although they had a difficult time locating the fire due to the amount of debris piled throughout the house, they were able to get the flames out within 20 minutes.
Photos taken at the scene show two dogs were rescued from the home, but IFD said one cat was still missing.
The fire is under investigation.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.