Mellencamp brothers expected in Monroe County court after 2013 battery charges

MONROE COUNTY, Ind. - Eight months after their arrests, John Mellencamp’s teenage sons are supposed to go to court Thursday. Whether they show up is anyone's guess, considering the delays in their case already.

Speck and Hud Mellencamp (who were 18 and 19, respectively, at the time of the incident) will make their initial court appearance Thursday morning before a Monroe County judge. They're accused of beating a man in Bloomington last year.

Several delays were involved with the case: A delay in arresting the two, as police waited for the teens to turn themselves in last August; and a delay in getting to where we are in April, with court proceedings being postponed in October, then November, then in February, when the brothers were a no-show at their court appearances.

Both Speck and Hud, along with a third teen, face battery charges after police said they punched and kicked a 19-year-old who was sitting on his Bloomington, Ind., porch last July. The victim sustained facial fractures and had to get stitches after the incident.

Police said the teens had believed the man had punched Speck earlier in the evening.

The two Mellencamp sons are slated to face the judge at 10 a.m. in the Monroe County Courthouse.

Their charges carry a possible jail term of 2 to 8 years, along with a $10,000 fine.

Watch RTV6 and check back here frequently for updates on this story.
 

Print this article Back to Top