INDIANAPOLIS - The world of Botox has gotten bigger recently as more men are rejecting its characterization as feminine and opting to receive the treatment.
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, more than 6 million men had Botox treatments last year.
Among those considering Botox is Steven Ramey.
"I'm 51, so I want to make sure I look 51, but don't look 61," Ramey said
Ramey, a building materials salesman, said he doesn't want to look tired or angry, but rather fresh to help make a good first impression with customers. And he scoffed at the idea that getting Botox treatments isn't manly.
"I said I don't care, I'm going to do it anyway," Ramey said. "I didn't do it for the manly issue. I wasn't too concerned about it. I just decided it was someone else's head trash."
Botox injections interrupt nerve endings that fire the muscles that create frown lines. Injections range in price from $350 to $500, depending on the area that must be covered. Treatments must be repeated every three to five months.
Dr. Stephen Perkins, who takes Botox treatments himself, says that today 15 percent of his Botox clients are men. That's up from 5 percent two years ago.
"It's very safe," Perkins said. "I'm pleased men are accepting, 'Why not me? I want to look better. I want to look less angry. Less frown-like. I can take Botox and it doesn't make me any less of a man.'"
ITW: IMPD chief talks body cams, Indy violence
In addition: Congressman Carson discusses what needs to be done to prevent future mass shootings.
Three arrested after robbery, police chase
Greenfield Police arrested three people after they allegedly robbed a Walgreens and crashed into two parked cars after police chased their…
Saturday's Hoosier crowd 4th largest in history
The crowd on Saturday was the the fourth largest football crowd Hoosiers have seen in their football history.
Body found in lake identified as missing student
A man found at Lake Griffey Friday night has been identified by the Monroe County Coroner as Joseph Smedley,
IU president issues statement on student deaths
Indiana University President Michael McRobbie issued a statement Saturday on the deaths of two IU Bloomington students this week.